Tuesday, March 25, 2014

All for a picture

First let me tell you I have been too busy for my likes! I still have not been able to finish my Thistle tatted motif, did a bit and I do mean a bit of stitching on Alphabet Doll, and I made a stuffed bear. None of this is part of the busy things. Anyway, while doing this or that I made a few attempts at Needle Flower making. Remember the book I bought...
beside the fact I do not seem able to do this, I have now lost interest in even trying ...so it is up for grabs....that's right. One of you may want this lovely book... if so, please leave a comment on this post saying you would like the book. If more than one of you ask, then I will draw for the winner.... on Saturday.  I do not want this nice new book sitting in my bookcase looking pretty.....
Now, let me say that I know many of you, like me, will try really hard sometimes to get just the right picture. We try this angle and that angle and sometimes the stupid angle. I fit into this this last category this morning.  Over the week-end I sewed a lovely floral bear for a gift.... so, before mailing her off today I wanted a picture.
Do you see these prickly barbs on the cactus.... do you see how they protrude from the tip of the paddle end... do you know what happens if you should back-up into them.... well, trust me.... it is very painful and very difficult to remove this type of fine barb. Are you wondering what I did? I positioned the stuffed bear in the garden and then squatted down to take the picture and ouch! I let out a yell and discovered that I got a lot too close to this cactus and my butt was full of barbs! I found my self trying to get up and only could feel the barbs rubbing into me. Did I mention that I am in thin cotton pajamas?  Did I mention that although this happened about 20 feet outside my bedroom slider and Mr H did not hear me yell so is still asleep. What to do.... First, how to remove the pajamas and and underwear. That done, I thought of packing tape and proceeded to stick pieces to my butt and gently peal them off. Most of the barbs came off in the first try. I have repeated this now several times and I have a feeling there are still some very fine prickles still there. I have washed till I am water logged...all I know is, take my advice...do not try this picture taking method at home! In fact, if there are cacti in your garden do not back into them! Did I mention that it will be a very long day at work if I can not get them all out?
This is not the post I had thought of for today, but then I did not know I would have a close encounter of the painful kind. If you have stopped laughing at me yet, enjoy your day...I am not sure about mine.

12 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

I would love the book. It looks fun

jacquie morris said...

The book looks fun and such a shame you could not get to grips with it.. I would love the book and give it go :) I love a challenge and trying new things is exciting. When I lived in southern France I used to have many cacti and loved them... I know what you mean about the fine hairs some have... goodness they are a real pain to get out. Take care, sending some smiles to you :) :)

valerie said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your tustle with the cacti. Hope you got all those barbs out and feel better. No entry in the giveaway for me. Thanks!

Ali said...

I am so sorry to read about your cacti encounter hope you've got all the barbs out now and are feeling a little less tender!

cucki said...

ouch dear...i hope you feel better :)
sweet book...
sending you lots of love x

Vickie said...

Oh Gracie! I hope you got them all by now.♥

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Ouch poor you! It sounds most painful! Maybe you should make some little covers for the cacti to protect you in future?

rosey175 said...

Ow-ow-owwwww! I hope all those pesky prickles are gone by now! The only cactus we have is a Christmas cactus so no worries about that! I have accidentally sat on a cat though... :)

That book looks like a lot of fun; I'm sorry you lost interest in it! No entry for me though... I'll never finish my current stash at this rate. :D

Shelly said...

Ow, Gracie! My brother was saying out by Fountain Hills, the Cholla cactus are numerous! He squatted down and unbeknownst to him, a ball of spines had attached themselves to his pant leg and when he squatted down, ouch! He spent a good hour pulling spines out of his back thigh. Some broke off at the skin and finally worked themselves out in a couple weeks! That may be what you'll have to go through :( Oh, and no entry in the giveaway!

Lelia said...

Oh yikes - cactus are prickley!!! Hope you are feeling better today. I'd enjoy your needle lace book. I've tried a few times + enjoy it [when in the mood].

Have a nice week !!!

Jeanne said...

OMG Gracie! I'm so sorry this happened to you but it is a funny story unfortunately! Those darn cacti! I hope you are better now. Do not put my name in for the book, I've got more than I'll ever be able to handle as it is. Your tatting is beautiful...I hope someday I have time to learn it a bit but it's not going to be until I quit working that's for darn sure!

Anne said...

Oh dear Gracie! That sounds so painful but I love how you told us about it with humor. I sure hope you have all those prickles out by now! That book is lovely but I do not think I would do anything like that...I have too many projects on the go!