Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A bit of rain

There was thunder and lightening and just a bit of rain last night. This morning is cool and sunny bright. Hopefully we will remain in the comfortable temps from now on. No stitching yesterday...of any kind but I did get a book in the mail. More about that tomorrow. Back to Sunday and the Festival of Arts ...today let me tell you about The Yellow Bird Dancers... there clothing was so colorful and the beading magnificent. How they managed to dance and smile while the temps were around 80 dressed as they were is beyond me. The lovely smiling lady in red is Violet Duncan who was Miss Indian World 2012. She represented all Indigenous people of North America. She is married to Tony Duncan who performed the hoop dancing..
Tony Duncan is a 5 time world champion from the Apache and Arikara Nations. He also is leader of Estun-Bah, who perform beautiful music with Tony playing the flute. His dancing in and out of the hoops is amazing. Tony and his group are based here in Arizona. Then there was a man who sat quietly on the sideline. I asked if I could take his picture and with a big smile he said yes and stood for me. His clothing was beautiful and then he danced...His name ( I think) is David...He has done all the beading on his clothing and even his moccasins. Such a nice man. It was a wonderful part of my Sunday afternoon. My regret is that I did not get back to their area to purchase a CD of the beautiful music....but, since they are based/live here in Arizona, I will be sure to find them.
That is about it for today my friends, glad you stopped by to chat with me. Thank you for the kind words and emails.... have a great day.

7 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Wow, the clothing and beadwork is just beautiful = I'm always so impressed by Native American work. I loved your sunset photo below.

Woman Seeking Center said...

Hi Gracie :-)

I so enjoyed your images and narrative of the festival! I still remember as a child living in AZ the wonderment of the native american culture - the dances, beadwork which seemed magical, the teaching legends..

You've gifted me with a wonderful post and many memories revived.

Hugs Issy

cucki said...

Wow so beautiful :)
Hugs x

Angela P said...

I love to watch them dance, the music is wonderful and those costumes! They are WOW :)

Anthea said...

Wow Gracie - what a wonderful day out, and so full of color & sound! Amazing clothes... x

Julie said...

A fabulous post, such beautiful pictures. I have some Native American cd's but not one of theirs, will have to look them up on the Internet. Thanks Gracie for sharing your day out.

thegreytail said...

what a wonderful, wonderful post, Gracie!
thank you so much for sharing your day with us, those pictures are amazing and everyone looks so nice and kind. I'd have LOVED to be there.

if they have a website, could you please post a link? I'd love to get a CD too.