Monday, December 20, 2010

A bittersweet December this year

I started today to complain to you about the holiday...about how I dislike all the commercials that want us to buy all the high $$ items....cars, perfumes and jewelry ...of course, that is retail.  Instead I will tell you about how I feel today. I am sad to remember that 25 years ago my dad died on the 18th of December. I am remembering the day my nephews were born...both on December 13th...they are now 20 which makes me feel old. I find myself missing my beloved schnauzer Sherlock so much this year. He went over Rainbow Bridge in 2004...he loved Christmas. It meant he would unwrap any gift under the tree and remove ornaments.
There is an up-note this year. I found so many of you. When I started my blog at the end of September, it was for me to jot down and share my work and ideas. I was hoping to be accepted into the blogging community and to make new friends. To learn new ideas. Well, that did happen....and I am so happy to have you as my friends. I look forward to your visits and comments. I enjoy visiting your corner of the neighborhood. I received  a lovely card from Olga...it is in Russian! And Maaike and I exchanged cards....she is in Finland.
Thank you all for helping me through this holiday....you have made a difference for me.

Have a wonderful day, because I know I will now that we have had this chat!

10 comments:

KarenV said...

{{{Hugs}}} Losing someone special always makes the holidays harder. Glad that you started blogging though, you're fun to read :)

Silverlotus said...

Merry Christmas, Gracie. I think that your memories of your father and dog, and the birthdays of your nephews are the better things to concentrate on for sure.

Christmas is a lot less commercial for us now. We cancelled cable last September, and we almost never look at flyers, so we miss out on lots and lots of commercials and all of that kind of pressure. It sure makes for a much less stressful holiday.

Scully said...

I'm sorry that you are feeling down. We lost my husband's grandmother on Christmas last year, and they had a another loss with the service just completed this past Saturday.

I, too, am glad to have found your blog. It is nice to know in this electronic driven age, that one way to use it all...is to connect with other people.

Teresa S. said...

God bless you this Christmas, Gracie. Try to concentrate on the Reason for the Season :) Merry Christmas!

Kttycat said...

Sending some hugs your way.

Denise said...

Merry Christmas Gracie! Hugs being sent to you!

Bloggerville has a way of making you feel better doesn't it?

Sorry to hear about your Dad and pup! Those nephews are growing up fast - btw - you aren't old - you're experienced!

Keep smiling and Merry Christmas!
Denise

CalamityJr said...

Oh, Gracie, I'm so sorry you're hurting. Memories are good, but they do make us melancholy sometimes. I'm glad you've found some comfort with your new blogging friends, and we are just that, friends!

Melanie said...

I pre-tape everything on the TiVo so I can skip all those nasty, boring commercials! lolol

Chookyblue...... said...

Gracie...........I too am glad I found your blog...........think it was during the cross stitch stuff........
think of the good and the sad at Christmas..........no matter how many years it can still be difficult.......

Lois said...

December can be such a bittersweet time for so many. The years pass so quickly. I hope you have a lovely Christmas Gracie. I love to drop by your blog and thank you for taking time to visit mine and leave a lovely comment each time.