Sunday, August 27, 2017

A slow start to my day

It is expected to be a hot day again, around 109 so indoors is the place to be. Shortly I will get out to water a few of the potted plants and that will be it. I have a few Denny's Angels getting finished today. Yesterday was the Day of the Bees
this was just a few of them. At one point you could not see the bottom of the feeder! It was so bad that the hummers could not feed. The bees managed to drink a full cup of nectar in a couple of hours. I read on line that you should remove the feeder for a few days and they will forget where to return(?) The feeder is down. Someone also suggested to rub Vaseline on the feeder....not heard that one before. I have had feeders in our yard for 13 years and never before had this issue. This morning a few are hovering around the area then flying off. It is not like there are no nectar producing bushes in the yard.
Thank you for wishing The Brother Alan a happy birthday and the nice comments on the picture I added to the sidebar. Did I mention he will be here on September 19th? I must share this...I had read sometime ago that using auto window wash for the outside of the house windows will do the job. Well, the other day I did...I washed 3 windows and it was super easy and quick. I do need to get a new squeegee though. I have the 2 sliders and the kitchen window left to do. This has been another of my firsts...that's right Denny did the windows.  Slowly the first of this and that will be gone. Oh no, I just looked up and the hummer is at the window looking for the feeder! I will not break down and put it up...no no no. There is another feeder across the yard and out front.
The Origami Cranes have moved into another window and the Black Crow followed as did the Ballerinas. All part of moving things around.
changes (plural noun) the act or instance of making or becoming different
Some changes are necessary in life, some are just good. Yesterday I decided to move and rearrange the DVDs and CDs that we I have. Denny was an avid movie fan and together we have many movies and lots of music. However, some of these I do not watch or listen to so it makes sense to me to keep what I do like together making it easier to find them. This is not to say that I will not watch or listen to what on the shelves, just not my favorites. I have not yet attempted to even use the Home Theater  set up. Instead, I am perfectly content with the TV set up. Still trying to learn how to get more than 4 radio stations! Well, that about covers what I have been up to and now to finish my coffee and after a few household chores I will tat angels. Thank you for the kind words and thank you for your friendship. Did I mention The Brother Alan will be here on September 19th?!

9 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Have you heard of the tradition of Telling the Bees? It's a European idea that you must tell the bees of any important life events, usually in the life of the bee keeper and their family. I wonder if they have come to pay their respects to Mr. H?
I can tell that you are excited about the forthcoming visit of the Brother Alan too!

diamondc said...

Gracie: I can tell you are excited to have your brother come, I bet you both are close.
I am sure there will lots of firsts, I have had a few since my Mother passed last April, so hard but it is part of my life.
We have a feeder that the bees cannot get into the holes are long and only the hummers can get nectar, we looked and looked for this kind of feeder and found one at Menards of all places the last place we looked.
I have never heard of using Vaseline before very interesting.

Catherine

Purple Pixie Dust said...

I have the bees coming to my feeders too. First I had ants and now the bees and waspes. They get into the feeders and drown. I don't know how they can get their bodies into the holes, the holes are not that big. big hugs love

Vicki said...

Hmmm, something tells me you are counting down the days until September 19th!

Vickie said...

Yes, I had that problem with the darned wasps!

shirley flavell said...

Hello Gracie, how wonderful for you to have your brother visiting again, you must be counting down the days. You seem to be doing ok with all your firsts, good for you. Take care and have a good week.

Brigitte said...

Can it be that you are eagerly awaiting your brother's visit? Lol.
We also have lots and lots of bees in our garden - but no feeder as there are no hummingbirds here. So the bees stay with the flowers and shrubs.

Julie said...

WE have a lot of insects about this year and many butterlflies, just a shame they lay their eggs on the vegetable crops which then means the catterpillers eat the growing veggies :-(

Pittoresque said...

Well, no you can say you did your part again the mass extinction of bees! Poor hummer though, hopefully he'll have his feeder all for himself soon.