Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Slow and easy does it

I must admit to some stitching...
I took my time; cutting using a rotary cutter, ironing, and started the stitching of the pieces. This will be a Pentagon Sewing Box from
Penny Rugs and More. Colleen has a wonderful blog. Her work is lovely and great tutorials. I chose to use flannel shirting for the outside and paisley cotton for the lining. Colleen's method for assembling the pieces is easy. Still have to think about the trim for the top of the box. The stitching is easy and I am taking my time with this. I am finding the hand sewing a bit easier right now, less on my hand than the cross stitching. Yesterday our monthly stitch group met and look what I got from our stash table...
Of course I can not tat right now, but look at the books and did you notice the price on the shuttle that is still on the card?! Can you remember such a price~~~39 cents! There is even a little drawstring bag to hold the shuttle and there are a few practice pieces inside. I did try to work on my started motif from eons ago, but I can not get the right feel/tension with the shuttle. So many things and not able to do.... Today is therapy.... I guess I will have to admit to some needle in hand since I last saw Jake. I just looked at the time! Here it is 4:15, I have my second wash on, a post for the day. I guess it is time to make a cup of coffee and settle down to The Thin Man movie that is on. Glad you stopped by to visit. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement and most of all your friendship. Have a great day.

10 comments:

Blu said...

Your box is going to look so great! Thanks for the link.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I'm so pleased that there is some crafting you are able to do.

Barbara said...

I finally finished my pentagon box just in time to take it for Show & Tell at our annual needlework retreat. Like you, I took it slow, but each step was fun. Mine is of different colored wools and gray flannel on the inside. I know you'll love it when it's finished.

Julie said...

Thanks for the link to the box, might have to try this.

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

I can't wait til I see your Box put all together - love the pretty material that you chose to make your box.

I would love to learn to Tat but now they do Needle Tatting and you use a Needle instead of the Tatting Shuttle. Good Luck in learning how to do Tatting.

Happy Stitching
Linda K

diamondc said...

Hi Gracie: Love the stash you have someday I will learn to use a shuttle.
I also watched the Thin Man, I get such a kick out of the oldie but goodie movies.
I had yesterday off for some unknown reason.
I am so happy your hand is getting better.
I love the tutorial, thank-you for the link.

Blessings
Catherine

stitchersanon said...

Wow, never seen the boxes before. Looking forwards to seeing your finished!

Annette-California said...

Lovely box project! You received some great books. I always like to look for prices in my moms sewing boxes. Doesn't seem that long ago, but the prices have gone up! Looking forward to seeing your box finish. love Annette

rosey175 said...

Lucky you with the tatting supplies! I love those old Star magazines. I am just now trying to learn how to tat (shuttle) myself and it's definitely an adventure. I used an inflation calculator and guessed the shuttle was from 1950... it'd be $3.86 today! :)

Carla Eldridge said...

I have to ask, with your hand having such issues, I really hope that the rotary cutter isn't causing more pain and damage? Please say it's not!

I'm still sending healing thoughts your way <3