Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Gumbi in the garden

I went to a movie. What? You do not see the big deal? Well, I have not been to a movie since sometime during the 1990s...yes, you read that correctly. I can not even remember what I saw or what theater. The other day an email from Glenda asked if I wanted to go to see Victoria and Abdul. Initially I said no. Then I thought it sounded familiar so when I checked yes indeed I would go. I love Dame Judi Dench and all that she does. So off we went to the Harkins theater and after following Glenda through getting the ticket and then popcorn we sat to watch a very good movie. Through the years Denny went to the movies but not me. He really enjoyed the action movies. Another first to my list.
I decided to sort through more of my stuff...little by little I am tossing out this and that. I have some patterns to donate to one of the needlework groups but lots are just copies run off on the computer form various sites...you know the free offers. Next will be the magazines that are collected but not looked at again. We all buy them with the intention of stitching this and that but then we don't. I would rather pass them along.
Today might be work in the garden. There is another sprinkler head that probably needs to be replaced and I would like to add a few drip lines to some plants.  We shall see. There is a new cactus in the garden. It has been here now for a week or so
It is Opuntia Gumbi.  It gets the gumbi name because it feels rubbery...hopefully this will root. It is a cutting that was given to me. If in the ground they grow quite large so in the pot it will live.
Then there is the Swaddled Baby doll that needs last finishing and Alice and well, you see where this is going.
I have been awake since 2 AM and this morning could not fall back to sleep or felt lazy enough to just stay in bed. So, possibly my list will have some cross offs by days end. I may even get the walnut biscotti made. I am very good at making lists. Today's list keeps getting longer so maybe an early start will get things done. Thank you for visiting with me and for your kind words. Most of al thank you for your friendship.

11 comments:

Janice said...

I glad you got out to the movies. Sometimes it's just nice to lose yourself in a good plot as was the movie you did see. I loved it.
I was considering making biscotti again this year for Christmas. One year i made cranberry and pistachio and it was a big hit. It takes time...so we'll see. Can't put aside my "regular" recipes either and honestly it gets $$$ to make all the ones I want. Time will tell.
Love your new cactus. Will it live indoors or out among your other greenery? Either way it's really nice.
Enjoy your day Gracie xo

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Glad you went to the cinema Grace, each little step adds up. I have no idea what to do with all my cross stitch charts and kits, I know I will never stitch them.

Vickie said...

Good for you getting out to a movie and having a nice time. I would say watch yourself around Gumbi there! Wow!

Vicki said...

Thanks for sharing your opinion of Victoria and Abdul - it's one I think I want to see. We rarely go to the movies either. When we were younger we went all the time, but now there's so many things vying for our time and attention that movies have moved to a low priority! I see that the 70s may be here starting this weekend, yippee! I need to do what you're doing and go through my stitching stuff... hoping your progress will inspire me. Enjoy today!!

Shelly said...

That movie is one I'm interested in checking out. Now to drag my daughter out to see it. Gumbi is interesting for sure! I admire your energy, Gracie. If you could bottle that up I would be your first customer! Hope your day is a good one:)

Chookyblue...... said...

I need to have a big throw out once again......... I started and got a couple of rooms done.......heaps more to do.... Love dame judy.......coil me count on my nan be how many times I've been to the movies...... It's a long drive away...... Don't even watch them on TV in recent years........always start to late...... And don't watch daytime TV.

diamondc said...

Hi Gracie: I had to giggle, Gumby Plant what a great name, way back in the very early 60s my dearest friend in schools Father bought Lakeside Toys and they made Gumby's, I soldered the joints together, then they had rubber poured, they were first made by some other company but Lakeside toys had a contract here in Minnesota.
I make lists but forget about them in the middle of the morning.
I was up at 03:00 stitching rather frogging due to my not reading the directions correctly.
I have not been to a movie house ( I just dated myself) since 1997 Titanic.

Blessings
Catherine

shirley flavell said...

Good on you for going to the movies. I have been going to see a few over the last year or so after not going for years. I haven't seen Victoria and Abdul but wanted to. I guess I have no excuse other than not wanting to go on my own. I have always loved Judy Dench and also Maggie Smith. Murder on the Orient Express is showing at the moment and think I will make an effort to go see it. I have never been keen on cacti unless it has a pretty flower. I also have a lot of stitching charts and need to destash.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

I'll talk to you in a couple of days. going for surgery today. wish me luck hugs Lynda Ruth

Pittoresque said...

I used to not go to the movies very often for a few years, until I found a group to go with...now I go almost every month! It's expensive, but it's fun to watch a movie together and talk afterwards.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Glad that you enjoyed the cinema. I try to go with my older son if there's a good film on, which isn't often!
I have so many magazines that I ought to declutter but you never know when you might want one! One maybe, but not 6 boxes. At least JCS can be digitally downloaded now.