Friday, December 16, 2022

Advent Calendar Blog Hop

 It is that time of December for my post to the annual blog hop hosted by Jo. 

 Each blog hop ( Jo hosts several a year) we are given a topic to talk about. This year it is"afters"..... what is eaten after the Christmas meal. We also post a picture of something for Christmas or the season that we created

When I saw this pattern I knew I had to make it. "The Tree Farmers, block #2 of Woolie Christmas Gnomes"; from Red Button Quilt Co. 

First of  the gnomes are cute but more than that they are in a truck. When I met my hubby Dennis in 1970 he was driving...when it ran...an old pick-up truck. He found a few toy trucks around when we went  out and about.antique shopping. Here they are.

 Back to the gnomes..... it is all hand stitched applique with a few minor changes that more expressed me. The backing/border fabric I had already had and thought it would be perfect. Well,


look at the name of the fabric! Now you know it was meant to be. 

Now back to our topic...."afters". When I was a child Christmas was at Grandma and Papa Piccirilli's house...all of dad's family . Once dinner was finished there were trays of Italian cookies and an antipasti tray and always fresh roasted chestnuts for nibbling and fresh fruit bowl. As time went on and families grew Christmas was celebrated at each home with their growing families. I always had the same at my house many years later when Christmas Eve was held at our house with Sister Lyn and The Brother Alan and their families. Now, new traditions are forming with Alan and wife Lisa living here.  Of course Murphy is part of the fun. Here in Arizona, through the 17 years living here, chestnuts are not always available. It is something that I really miss. 

Special thank you to Jo for remembering that this date is special to me.

Happy Heavenly Birthday Dennis......

December 16, 1945- June 21, 2017


14 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. Your gnomes are so cute and have a lovely story too.
Denny's Angel has a special place on my Ornament Garland too.
We used to roast the chestnuts on the edge of the fire when we were kids - Grandad was in charge of making sure they didn't fall in the fire or burn on one side!

Pittoresque said...

Thanks for sharing those very special gnomes with us on a very special day!

Elfie said...

I love your gnomes. Such lovely memories you have. I enjoyed reading your post. Merry Christmas!

diamondc said...

Merry Christmas Gracie and family: Wonderful photo of Dennis, so sweet.
The old trucks are very interesting, I love old tracker toys.
The Gnomes are so cute and adorable.
I hope Alan and Lisa are feeling better.

Catherine

Marilyn said...

Very cute Gnome project!
Love those old trucks.
Happy Birthday in Heaven to Dennis.
((((((HUGS))))))
Marilyn

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Thank you for the memory of chestnuts roasted by my grandfather over the fire, they never tasted quite the same after their home was "modernised" and the coal fire was replaced with a gas one. Love the Gnomes, getting more and more fond of them as I see all the cute designs.

jocondine said...

Those gnomes are adorable and I love the truck toys. Warm hugs for you. Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! xxx

Astrids dragon said...

Your quilt turned out so cute, and very appropriate that they are in the truck to remind you of your Dennis.
I'm honestly not sure I've ever had roasted chestnuts, I need to fix that.
Happy Christmas!

beadgirl said...

Merry Christmas! I hope it's filled with happy memories.

DJ said...

What an adorable quilt...and the backing fabric a perfect match! My Dad had an antique pick up that he drove for a while...we used to have fun riding in the back (it's amazing we survived childhood...lol). Roasted Chestnuts...what a perfect "after", I haven't had them in ages, but just the smell would bring back such lovely memories. Our neighbor would make Italian cookies for us at Christmas before they moved, such a wonderful treat. Wishing you lovely memories and cherished time with family...Merry Christmas.

Tiffstitch said...

Lovely finish and hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

Mary's Thread said...

Your gnome applique work is darling! Well done! I have never had chestnuts. I would love to try them properly made. One of my favorite Christmas Carols is "Chestnuts Roasting on a Open Fire" so I've always been curious about those! Merry Christmas!

Shelly said...

This was a special blog hop post because of it being your hubby's birthday! How special! The quilt block is so cute! It appears that you're becoming quite the quilter! Have fun!

FlashinScissors said...

Sorry to be late commenting, I don’t know where the time goes!
It was lovely reading about your Christmas Gnomes and truck memories and their connection to your dear husband.
Christmas is a funny time and certainly changes as families grow up, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that you managed to find some chestnuts (There’s nothing better than roasting fresh chestnuts you’ve gathered yourself!)
Hugs,
Barbara xx