Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year 2019

I actually was awake for the start of the new year...Arizona time which is 2 hours earlier that the East Coast where family and friends are. I can not remember the last time I was awake at midnight for the new year. I finished packing up all the decorations and put it up on the shelving unit. Just need to fir in a few boxes or find another spot for now.
The tree will be later today. Now to re-decorate the house. After a month of brightness and glitter, everything is now subdued...need to perk it all up. I have tried to clean up the glitter and the snowflakes but I am resigned to be doing this for weeks to come. It is okay, it is worth having it around all month and deal with it for a month...or so. It is so festive with it.
We  had rain most of the day yesterday and this morning is beginning very cloudy. I will not be going anywhere so it is fine with me. We are in a cold spell...at least 10 degrees colder than normal. I will need to check on a few plants and maybe cover them for the overnight lows. I will move them into the lanai for a few days.
Done to the last 2 blooms on the Amaryllis but this shoot is still very green...who knows, maybe another one yet to come? We will watch and in the meantime....
the long time cactus is getting ready to bloom! This has been around for several years and blooms when it feels like it. It look straggly but I just keep it on the shelf and let it be. The white one had tons of buds but they did not open. These plants are temperamental in my house. It also is on the shelf and out of the way so I just let them be.
Looking forward to starting my star a month project. Anyone else making these starts? I know Pattie is (no blog that I know of). She did contact me to see the link and may be doing one a month....
Okay, first cup of coffee is finished and a few things need doing as yesterday was decoration packing and nothing else. I look forward to a new year of friendship with you and maybe finding a few new friends. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Thank you for the kind words and for your friendship.
 A new year, new beginnings.....🎉

9 comments:

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Happy New Year. It's snowing here and cold. Not going anywhere today. stayed up last night to celebrate the new year. Love your tree. I got my cactus and Amaryllis on the kitchen table and they get lots of light. Big hugs

rosey175 said...

I didn't manage midnight, but I possibly get a bit weird if I'm not on a regular sleep schedule haha. I'm not sure I'm ready to take down Christmas decorations just yet... though I did unplug the outdoor lights today (small sigh). The house always feels robbed when the decorations come down. My cactus has bloomed (sparsely) twice this year; I believe it's a bit confused from the move.

Happy New Year to you, Gracie (and Brother Alan!)~

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy New Year to you too!
I did not stay up for the first time ever I think. Last year was too disruptive for my son and it took him an hour to settle back to sleep so I didn't try this year.
We keep our decorations up until Epiphany, it's a tradition I copy from my parents. I like to enjoy them in the calm after Christmas as before Christmas is so busy!

Julie said...

We have taken down our decorations, they are usually left till epiphany, but felt this year we wanted a fresh start to the year.
Happy new year ... I hope it's filled with lots of lovely things for you.

moreofhim said...

I was up until midnight, too, for the first time in many new years. We are keeping our tree and decorations up for at least another 2-3 weeks as I got a late start with them and we want to enjoy them. I know I'll be ready to take them down when it's ready, tho! Always nice for a fresh start.

Have a wonderful and happy new year full of blessings!

Julie

diamondc said...

Happy New Year Gracie: I love Christmas cactus, they have such lovely flowers.
I was up till 01:00 a.m. stitching, started a new project.
I have taken down my tree such a chore.

Catherine

Ninetta said...

Happy New Year, Gracie! We in Italy usually put on decoration on December 8th and take them off after epiphany; there's many, but not me, that respect the tradition to take off the crib on the second day of February, that is another festivity. So I'm having home pretty decked out for at least another week!

Vicki said...

Happy New Year, Gracie! I am so over this COLD weather. I keep checking the 30 day forecast to see when the 70s will be making a comeback... not soon enough! hahaha

Pittoresque said...

I didn't have a lot of decorations up, but I haven't started undecorating yet. In Germany, Christmas trees and decorations usually stay up until January 6th or even February 2nd, depending on the region :)