Thursday, July 20, 2017

So many clouds today

Cloudy outdoors and indoors. The weather is certainly an active monsoon but we have not had rain since Sunday evening. Maybe some later today? Glad that the air conditioning drain is fixed, one less thing to deal with. Yesterday I had a nice lunch out with Dianna and then to Lowes...we bought a plant ... Calathea..




the foliage  closes up at night. It is part of a group that is called the prayer plant.
During the light of the day it is full and open...
Don't you just love how plants react. Some of these flower but I do not think this is one of the species that does. It is colorful as it is....burgundy underside  with two-tone green leaves when open. Nice addition to the kitchen. Yesterday afternoon I decide to finally start a denim teddy bear using a pair of Dennis' jeans. Like a fool I stood over the table and could not cut into the fabric! Well, on Saturday, I will visit over with Dianna and she will help me get started.  I have been sewing since I was 10 years old and this is ridiculous ! However, I am making this teddy and that is it...just starting it at Dianna's.
Today I will be having lunch across the courtyard with Robyn and Dave...she is making a cherry dessert! By the way...notice that my posts are not as early? Just can not get going in the morning. Lazy is how I would describe myself and surprisingly I do not mind. I need to get to the Post Office this morning to mail a package that should have been mailed back in -----, well before.  Since Abby and Kate did not know about it, it is not too bad. They are daughters of a good friend in RI.
Before I show and tell about today's word I should tell you that I did stitch each word in the order that Donna had released them....except for number 11. It was to be Forgiving and at the moment of stitching I was not and not now in a forgiving mood.  Sorry if that offends any of you, but it is my honest feeling and it is what it is. So I skipped that word.
Today the word is Peaceful.
This word was stitched in Denny's last days with the exception of the "l" at the end of the word. I refused to stitch it until he was at peace. It was a short but long illness , from May 19th to June 21 when he was finally without pain. So late on the evening of June 21st, I finished the word and added the date.
Of course there is a tatted Denny's Angel and the token charm that reads You are my guardian angel on the right side and on the left
side is a charm Made with love....this truly is my love to Denny project. The stitches around the word are a new stitch I found which I have forgotten the name but saw it demonstrated on Quilted Arts. Done similar to a cross stitch but knotted in the middle. There are many embellishments on this banner and I will tell you about them later.
Well, my friends, from your kind words I feel that you have enjoyed learning about the Words of Affirmation banner. It really was a help once Denny became ill. And the finishing was special because we had planned some of it together. Thank you for stopping by each day and for your encouragement and kind words. Most of all I treasure the friendship we have and for the new friends I have found. Let's have a good day.
NOTE ~~~~~ the stitch is the Sorbello Stitch...

10 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I've loved walking through the stitching process with you Grace, it's such a special piece and you are so generous sharing the journey with everyone.
I can understand your reluctance to cut into the jeans - I hope you can overcome this with the help of your friend as a teddy sounds just perfect.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think Peaceful is the perfect way to end your Affirmations. There is no need to apologise to anyone for your feelings, it's your loss and you can feel how you want!

Janice said...

Your feelings are your feelings. We don't always have control as much as we'd want to so don't apologize. I love that the banner was completed with "peace." Let us know if you end up starting teddy tomorrow and enjoy your visit.

butterfly said...

Peaceful was so the right word gracy.
Love your new plant.
So happy you have friends helping you at this time hugs.

Vickie said...

The prayer plant is really neat and pretty Gracie. Your banner is super. What a beautiful story it tells. I hope you find courage with Dianna to cut into the jeans and begin your Denny teddy today. If not, so what?!? :D BIG HUGS

Vicki said...

Another beautiful block. Serene, unique, filled with love, and yes, affirmation - that's how I would describe this project.

Julie said...

The most perfect final word, your embellishments are just so very beautiful. It's been a privilege to be included in your daily posts and feel that in some way we've all been able to hold you in our hearts,friends across the world (hugs) xx
I've never heard of a prayer plant before.

shirley flavell said...

Your Affirmation Banner is going to be so special and filled with so much emotion. All of these emotions are so normal. It's great to hear that you are going out and lunching etc and I do hope the denim jeans teddy turns out pretty special and enjoyable to make. Take care.

Brigitte said...

Peaceful is the right word to end the banner. I love the way you embellished this word with the charms and the special cross stitch. And why stitch a word that you feel is not the right one for you. It has to suit you and nobody else, Gracie.

Leonore Winterer said...

Peaceful - what a lovely word and sentiment to end this project on. Thanks for sharing this very special and personal journey with us!