Saturday, July 29, 2017

Making friends

The sunset last evening was beautiful...it usually is. Stormy looking but beautiful. It certainly has been a busy week around here. So much has gotten done and it feels good. I am one of those people who sees or knows something needs to be taken care f and does not rest until it is. I am so lucky to have the friends that I do. Yesterday was a trash pick-up day. They do not come the same time each pick-up so I got organized early. I moved the car out of the garage and found the jig-saw. Hooked it up to a long extension cord and then turned over 2 of the Home Depot buckets to put the length of wood on to cut. Then I went to the pile of wood and thought I got this. Well, never having used a jig-saw or any electric saw before, it was not that easy. I seemed to have trouble keeping the blade in contact with the wood. I managed to cut 2 of these in half so it would be in the 4 foot length that is required. Along came one of the guys with his rolling barrel...let me explain. There are "runners" as I call them that come along with these large barrels on wheels and empty your trash into hem and then meet up with the truck and empty into the truck. Anyway, along comes this guy who stopped in his tracks and gave me such a look. "hello" he said and then reminded me to take my grip off the handle to stop the blade from running. I explained that I was trying to get as much cut for the pick-up and that they were early this time. He looked into the yard and saw the pile. "I will leave your barrel right here in the drive and when the truck comes they will come over and you can tell them what you are doing". So, the truck did stop and he returned with the 2 guys who came over and explained what I was doing. "We will take it as is for you"...oh my thank heavens because I was not accomplishing a lot. I said "thank you so very much because I really do not know how to properly use this saw". The one in charge replied , "yes..." with that look when you do know this person is dangerous with an electric saw, even if it is a small one. So all my wood is gone. I offered them a tip and at first they refused but then I insisted. I must have been quite the sight to them. I kept forgetting to let go of the handle so the saw was almost always in motion. I so the same with the electric drill ! I think I will stick to the needles and pins and non electric tools. On the pond update...it is now drained and dried and I need to clean out the top portion then I can see if the waterfall feature still works....that is next weeks project. Yesterday I cut out another teddy bear and have it ready to sew. This morning I plan to make Pizzelle and organize my things for the curio. Never a dull moment here...glad you visited and we could have this chat. Thank you for your kind words and most of all your friendship...friends, I am so lucky to have good friends. Let's have a good day.
Tomorrow it is all about my new curio....

11 comments:

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

I just read your last two blogs and me thinks you are doing great, especially with goods friends keep up the good work and enjoy life. big hugs

Vickie said...

I am SO glad for those KIND men who helped you out. Wood be gone!! Yay! I think you may conquer the world Gracie. At least your little world. At least this weekend. ;) Take care.♥

Debbie said...

There are good people willing to help and in this moment so nice for you to have all the wood gone.

You've done so much this week, well done!!

Enjoy your weekend.

Vicki said...

What nice men! It's so heartwarming to be reminded that most people are kind and want to be helpful. Glad you can cross "dispose of wood pile" off your list!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's good to hear stories about kindness Grace, I think sometimes we feel overwhelmed with the bad things we hear.
I've been catching up on your recent posts as I've been away on holiday and noticed your special teddy bear - teddies are just the best!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What kind workers! My friend's husband is a binman (as we call them) and he has a number of customers who wait for them each week with a cup of tea or a bacon sandwich. Of course, those customers get preferential treatment and the binmen will take larger items or an over flowing bin.
They are always happy to help someone struggling too.

Julie said...

A little kindness goes a long way, well done those guys.
Xx

shirley flavell said...

I like hearing about kindness and decency. So glad you are achieving bit by bit Gracie. Like to see your new teddy when it's finished.

butterfly said...

Oh my gracie be so carful with those tools.
I am so happy there is kindness out there .
Enjoy your day.

Sok Sareth said...

This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style
And how continuously you describe this topic.

ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

Leonore Winterer said...

What kind workers. Goes to show that it always pays off to talk to people and be friendly! Glad to hear your wood is all gone and your fingers are still intact.