Saturday, April 1, 2017

No fooling, it International Tatting Day

Of course I will be tatting....
I started a blue Easter egg using size 20 thread in a light variegated blue, Lizbeth 163. I love my Origami Bag, a gift from wonderfully talented Lelia of Stitches of Life It is my take with me bag and surprising you can stash lots of necessities in there. Amazing that I have recently started to collect shuttles and still go to the Clover brand!
These are all Sterling Silver and if you look carefully down at the very bottom is a tiny shuttle that actually can be used! zone of these days I will pick one up and tat with it---- not the tiny one!
then I have a wooden one, a shell and bone shuttle. The framed motif is from my original learning pieces. I started to shuttle tat in 2013 and when I look back I see just how far I have come. I really enjoy tatting so much. I am proud to celebrate International Tatting Day. Tatting gained popularity during the 1860s / 1880s with intricate lace embellishment for clothing. Today it can be found on greeting cards and ornaments as well as doilies and such. Shuttles range from inexpensive to pricy and are made from all sorts of materials. I am happy to have joined a local ( quite small) tatting community group that meets once a week and to be part of 2 on line groups,; Ice Drop Addicts and Tatters of Lace. Both of these groups are made up of novice tatters to designers and many share their designs and tips. So, off I go to tat for a bit. By the way, I did go for my knee injections....no discomfort but I am "aware" of the knee so I will be careful in what I do today. The next 2 Wednesdays I will have the injections for a total of 3. I am trying to avoid surgery!
I leave you with another bloom form the garden...
a flower from a beautiful geranium simply named Regal. Each flower is tri-colored and so delicate. Oh I almost forget to tell you...Around 8/8:30 last evening I heard the call of one lone coyote....haunting  but at the same time you just wanted to listen....
Thank you for visiting with me and for your kind words. Most of all thank you for your friendship.

7 comments:

Ninetta said...

Happy tatting day! Beautiful shuttles!

Brigitte said...

The perfect day for you, Gracie. And you are right, when going through your blog posts it's great to see what you accomplished over the years. Your collection of shuttles is so beautiful.

diamondc said...

Hi Gracie: Love the gift from Lelia, what a sweet Lady she is.
I find tatting intriguing I just cannot understand how it is done.
Love the flower photo so pretty.
We have coyote and a small bear along with other wild animals here in Annandale Mn. area.

Blessings
Catherine

Lesley said...

What beautiful shuttles.I love seeing your tatting.

Julie said...

Nice collection of silver shuttles you have.

Leonore Winterer said...

Those shuttles are beautiful...I must now go and read a bit about tatting, as I am very curious to learn you can use such a shuttle to make those delicate lacy things!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy Tatting Day! Lovely shuttle collection too.