Saturday, November 12, 2016

Friends playing together

Yesterday I spent time with Dianna Lynn, my friend who taught me and is still teaching me to Hawaiian quilt applique.
She is starting a new block and it is lovely. We traced the pattern then cut it from the applique print....well, Dianna cut the shape out....pretty tricky in spots....
This will be a 2 piece process with an inside piece and outside border. Folding and placing is so important! Cutting through almost 8 layers of fabric, in and around.....but Dianna is very good at this. I was only too happy to help so as to learn more.
Centering the inside piece was not too bad....
getting the outside piece perfectly place...took a bit of maneuvering. Next step will be to baste it all down. Dianna decided to remove the outside piece while she works on the inside motif...... good call. Also, she will be using a darker shade for the background. that was decided after I got home and got a message from her. All in all we had a nice morning.
Have any of you read about the Safety pin project?
 I am not looking for any political notations here....I like the idea of wearing a safety pin for the purpose of showing my solidarity for all...no matter who is in office anywhere in the world.
I will not stand by and witness hate and bullying; nor will I join in that behavior. My key words are: "so that without a word, people may see your safety pin and know that you're a friendly face, that they are "safe" with you.
 So today I will start wearing my safety pin and will wear/carry extras so that I may encourage others to stop the hate, bullying and prejudice behavior. As I grew up in the late 50's and through the 60's I knew some who were fearful and feeling helpless. I will not let that dictate who I am.
All I ask of all my friends near and far, is that we care for one another. Treat everyone kindly. Offer friendship not hate. I value your friendship and kind words each time your offer them to me. I wish you love and peace. Have a good day my friends.

12 comments:

Sally said...

The Hawaiian quilt applique looks beautiful.

I wondered about the safety pin thing. I saw photo of Patrick Stewart wearing one.

Vickie said...

The applique does looks tricky. You are doing great!
I had not seen this safety pin thing at all.

EvalinaMaria said...

Good day to you too my friend. The Hawaiian applique looks awesome, Happy quilting!

KimM said...

Oh man, the Hawaiian appliqué looks complicated and gorgeous. I never heard the the safety pin thing. I'll have to look that up.
Hugs
xxx

Cindy's Stitching said...

oh that is going to be beautiful. thank you for sharing Gracie.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I have not heard of Hawaiian applique, it looks quite complicated. Good job you have a good teacher.
I have heard of the safety pins, when we had our right-wing coup earlier this year hate crimes spiralled and people started wearing them.
Earlier this evening I was reading a friend's post about her American-Asian friend who was abused on her way to college this morning. So sad that people think it is now acceptable to do this.
I am glad there are enough kind people like you around to restore faith in human nature.

Chookyblue...... said...

Never heard of the project....... Goodluck....

Bea said...

The applique is beautiful and intricate. I haven't heard of this pin project so I shall have to check it out. sounds like a good idea.

Amy said...

I had just heard about the safety pins. I have been wondering how to show, somehow,that I am an a safe space, and this seems like a place to start. I like your idea of carrying extras!

Julie said...

Lovely quilt project you are working on together

Brigitte said...

Such a fantastic quilt project you are working on. It looks a bit complicated so it's wonderful that you have a good teacher.

DebbieSFL said...

Gracie, I heard about the safety pins yesterday and will begin wearing one also. I like your idea of carrying extras.