Sunday, October 2, 2016

An experiment with Romaine lettuce

.I saw someplace on FB about growing from what you have. So, I took a head of Romaine and cut about 1 1/2 inches
and then put it into a small cup with about 1 inch of water which I changed daily. Finally after a week, it began to sprout and today I planted it in some soil. As you can see I started another one. Have no idea how long before I can pluck some leaves for a salad...obviously a very small salad....but I thought I would give it a try. It does work.





A very nice temperature so far today, in the low 70's and chance of rain in the forecast, but this morning....

the sunrise was amazing. The sky was just so golden! Our Monsoon Season is officially over so we are headed for Autumn.  Here in Arizona, it means temps out of the triple digits. The air conditioner will finally get some down time. My goals for the day are to stitch, knit and sew....a bit of all. It is football day so Mr H will be talking to the TV most of the day. The results from Friday's lab work came back. After reviewing 3 vials of blood I need Vitamin D. Always something to add to daily pill intake. I don't hear the dryer so it is time to remove the towels and I need another cup of coffee and breakfast. Happy to have you visit as always. Thank you for your friendship and kind words. Have a great day.

11 comments:

Julie said...

Good morning to you Gracie. What a lovely sunrise to wake up to.
I too have to take a VitD supplement, I know a lot of ladies that have recently been told to after bloodwork.
Enjoy your day x

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

good luck with your salad, at the moment I have three avocado seeds planted in a dish and they are just starting to root. Been in the soil since August 10th. Hope to get at least one tree out of three. hugs

Shelly said...

Nice idea with the lettuce, thanks. Gorgeous sunrise! I think I missed it, still sleeping at sunrise, lol. I'll be talking at the tv too, watching the Cardinals game! Have a nice Sunday, Gracie.

Bea said...

I hope you get some nice salads out of your experiment. And what a gorgeous sunrise!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh what a beautiful sky - such an intense golden colour.

Brigitte said...

A great idea to grow your own salad. And no matter how big the leaves will be - it's your home-grown salad :)

blue star stitcher said...

My husband has started an avocado plant in our kitchen window, and was so excited to see it sprout it's first leaves. I think you can do the same type of replanting for celery, and I saw someone try it with asparagus too.

Vickie said...

Wow! I have never seen a golden sunrise like that! Super.

diamondc said...

Hi Gracie: I have to take Vitamin D myself, even with the sun out this summer I still need Vitamin D.
Love the early morning photo so pretty.
I did not know you could grow lettuce from a leaf wow I need to try this.

Blessings
Catherine

Tiffstitch said...

Cool! Enjoy the cooler weather :)

Kaisievic said...

Oh, I have seen that lettuce trick on FB, too. Glad to know that it works. Gorgeous sky.