Saturday, September 17, 2016

It's Jo's Birthday!

I am helping Jo celebrate her birthday with the Big Birthday Blog Hop....
She has assigned us a year to comment on and this is her comment for the year 1981

1981 - Jo was 15.  Jo has settled into High School life and has become involved in the school dramatical productions.  The first year they performed songs from Oliver, the next year it was a 1920s evening with assorted songs, sketches and a performance of The Magic Piano.  It was during these rehearsals that Jo was approached by the drama teacher who suggested that she might enjoy being involved with the stage lighting.  This was a tactful way of telling Jo she cannot sing!  Fortunately Jo loved operating the lighting desk and building the scaffold tower to adjust the lights (Health & Safety would have had a fit!).  Jo also discovered Drama was useful for getting out of unpopular lessons - "I can't do PE, we have a rehearsal"
Now I must say this was not an easy year for me....I found it difficult to comment but here it goes....
First of all in 1981 I was 34 years old. Old enough to have been her mom! I had been married 11 years.  A few tidbits about that year: The top selling car was Toyota,  the average cost of a gallon of gas in the US was $1.25,  in the UK it was a Royal Wedding: Lady Diana married Prince Charles,  Top film was Raiders of the Lost Ark,  popular boy name was Michael and for the girls Jennifer.  That year my birthday (February 3) was on a Tuesday!   A memory does come to mind.  I was working  my second year as a Social Director (all around activity and party planner) at a nursing facility in Rhode Island.  Mary was admitted as a full time resident the year before. She was a sweet soft spoken lady who used a wheelchair for mobility and we became fast friends. Her sons lived out of state, one in Florida and one in New York.  I became her "adopted daughter" as her NY son Joe called me. One day Mary handed me a gift.....her diamond engagement ring!
I was speechless. I had only known her a short time and besides, I could not accept a gift let alone this! It only fits on my pinky now. It is 18kt gold with lovely scrolls on each side of the diamond. She and her husband came from the Azores and married there in 1910. The next day I was called into the administrators office and Mary was sitting there. After speaking with son Joe in NY, the administrator handed me the ring! Papers were signed and it was legal. Mary lived to be 104. So I guess something special did happen that year after all. Jo also asked that we post a picture of something we stitched that we think she would like...
This was stitched in the eighties and I think Jo would agree with the sentiment.....we may be miles and an ocean apart but we are friends with ever holding hands or hugging or meeting....
Happy Birthday dear Jo and good wishes for many more celebrations. Thank you for letting me participate in this blog party. Thank you my dear friends for always stopping by and for your kind words. Have a great day. Be sure to stop by Jo's place and say Happy Birthday!

18 comments:

Vickie said...

I really, really enjoyed this post Gracie. I loved learning more about you and Jo. :D

KimM said...

What an absolutely lovely and endearing post, Grace! I really enjoyed it.
xxx

Carolyn said...

Gracie,
What a great story to cherish forever. You were blessed to have a great friend as you did with Mary. What a beautiful sentiment and your stitching was gorgeous even then.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Birthday Blog Hop and I'm sorry you got a sad year for you. I am glad that managed to find some good in it, it's a lovely story about Mary and I'm sure she appreciated your friendship too.
I love the sampler you've chosen. I am a big fan of samplers as you know.

Astrids dragon said...

Wow, what a beautiful gift to receive.
That is a lovely sentiment you stitched.

Shelly said...

What a nice story! I had a friendship like that with an elderly woman. I had lost track of her though and wonder if she's gone now.

Bea said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and Jo's. That is a lovely sentiment - great choice for your stitched piece.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

I enjoyed reading your story, and your stitched piece is beautiful.

rosey175 said...

This is a beautiful post. You received such a special gift from Mary and your stitched sentiment will always hold true no matter what year.

Julie said...

A lovely post to celebrate Jo's birthday, a beautiful ring too,

Tiffstitch said...

Nice to learn more about you, and what an amazing gift.

Stitching Noni said...

Lovely post.... some memories can be sad and happy all rolled into one. Thank you for sharing your memory of a very special lady and her gift.
Hugs xx

Brigitte said...

So nice to read your and Jo's stories from 1981. And to choose a little band sampler for her birthday post is just perfect.

Melinda Forbes said...

This is a wonderful memory Thank you for sharing

Katie said...

I'm hopping along on the blog hop. What a great post. Thanks for sharing. Love the saying on your stitched piece. So true!

diamondc said...

Gracie: What a beautiful story, the ring is lovely, you must be a very sweet Lady that she gave that to you.
Love your stitching from 1987 and the frame is beautiful.
Thank-you for sharing with us.

Blessings
Catherine

Elfie said...

I am slowly hopping through the birthday blog posts. I enjoyed reading your beautiful post. This is such a nice thing to be involved in.

Kaisievic said...

Oh, such a lovely story about Mary and the ring, Gracie. How lovely that you still have it.