Tuesday, June 21, 2016

We are doing okay....sort of

What a time we have had. Mr H and I reported to the hospital to check in at 5:30 AM on Friday for a 7:30 surgery. Not really! At 7 am he was admitted to pre-op and I joined him at 7:30. They were having difficulty getting the IV in place so they had to have someone come to pre-op to get it in. Spoke to the doctor briefly then he disappeared. Finally at 8:30 a gal came in and after one half hour of prodding and poking got the IV in. Mr H was ready to pass out. Now it is 8:30 so I ask about the surgery. It had been changed to 10:30....and instead of being first, Mr H was second to go. Finally a 8:15 in comes the doctor and the anesthesiologist to sign off and the OR nurse. Then comes another doctor who starts to hook up wires and explains that he will be monitoring this and that...why I ask; well the surgeon will be cutting clos to the spinal cord and I will help make sure nothing goes wrong....one look at Mr H who is now turning white...luckily, this doctor was really in tune and he and Mr H began to joke about. So, after 6 hours in pro-op ! off to surgery. Once there they discover that the IV is not working so now they have to redo that....fast forward to 2:30 and Mr H was headed to recovery. Did I mention that I had been awake since 1am and Mr H since 3???? I have to tell you that I was completely exhausted. We are finally home, came home on Sunday.  First day home was lots of pain, but slowly feeling better. Now to keep him in check. Like: why are you walking without the walker, what are you doing outside, do not bend, no lifting...and it goes on. Because at the moment he feels okay, he thinks it is okay to do this or that. I did manage to do some stitching at the hospital on my hummingbird.
I really am enjoying Needle Punch. This project has lots of Rayon thread which is quite slippery, but so far I think it is looking good.
I did try to keep the garden watered but with the  temps around 117-118 for a few days (they are still around 116) it was not easy. Mr H looks out the window and sighs.
I does appear that the Snail vine is lost....as well as a few other plants. Like this Snapdragon

My thought is they are only plants...the fish in the pond are fine that was my real concern.  I think I will try to get outside really early and trim back some of the plants. Needless to say, we are hunkered down inside where the air conditioner and ceiling fans is keeping us comfortable. That's the story. Thank you to those who sent me messages and thank you for your kind words and of course you friendship. Have a good day....

12 comments:

Vickie said...

What. An. Ordeal!!!! ugh. So glad he feels well now.
Um, yeah. That snail vine does NOT look good at all Gracie.

Tiffstitch said...

Yikes, I'm glad it came out okay and please keep Mr. H. from doing too much. I overdid it after a simple re-alignment of my back and I suffered with it over a year!! Surgery is much more significant, and I think I'm a lot younger than him and still it took a really long time to recover. If he doesn't want more surgery it pays to be careful now. Fingers crossed he listens to you!

Your stitching looks great, very cool hummingbird.

Shelly said...

Glad Mr. H and you are back home. Sounded like an iffy time there for a bit! The vampires can't find veins on the inside of my elbows so they have to stick me in the wrist. Sorry about the plants. The heat has been unbearable for sure.

butterfly said...


So happy Mr H is back home and is doing good.
I think you both need to rest up after your ordeal sending you both lots of hugs.

KimM said...

Gracie, so good to read your post. Sounds like an ordeal and then some. I've been thinking about you and Mr. H, but didn't want to interrupt your focus. Please tell him to be kind to himself....and to take it easy. I overdid it after a surgery and ended up back to the doctor. I felt GREAT.....but it was the pain meds. Paid for my exuberance big time. Take care, stay cool, and keep stitching. Sending lots of love and hugs
xxx

Cindy's Stitching said...

Geez hospitals
Glad Mr. H IS DOING WELL. The bird is looking good.

Lynda Ruth Bowers said...

I am sending you lots of hugs and prayers for hubby to get better soon. don't worry about the plants, just take care of yourselfs and stay out of the heat. big hugs Lynda Ruth

Minnie said...

It's good to hear that once the surgery got going everything went well and you all finally are tucked in at home. Had to check on my sister out there in AZ, said she and the cats had all of the supplies they needed for the heat wave and were staying inside too. Take care my friend.

Bea said...

I'm glad you are both home and the surgery went well. I hate to say it, but that sounds like a pretty typical hospital story, which is a shame. Stay cool and keep reining him in!

Debbie said...

Glad that you're both home. so sorry that it ended up a marathon session. Fingers crossed that things continue to improve for Mr. H. and of course for you. take care.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Gosh, what a long day! Hope he recovers well.
Shame the plants aren't coping so well without his tender loving care but at least the fish are OK.

Kaisievic said...

Oh, that all sounds so worrying, my dear but I see from your next post that he is doing much better - which is so good to hear. xxx