Thursday, May 26, 2016

Always learning

I  have a Mind List of the many things I need want to learn..... Smocking has been filed there for a very long time. Yesterday our EGA local Chapter, Desert Threaders met and our member Alice held a class.
Alice pleated a practice sample for us to learn a few stitches. I am pleased to say that she was very clear with instructions and that I am comfortable with what I learned. This shows 4 different stitches. One of the reasons for this class is because our guild makes We Care Gowns...
Made of soft cotton in white, blue or pink, Alice pleats them and gets them ready for us to smock the bodice and the sleeves. They are then finished and sent off to hospitals that would like to receive them for those special little ones who do not get to go home with their parents. We are always looking for hospitals who are will to accept them. My first one (pictured here) will be pink. We get to choose the stitches and color floss...after I practice a little more I will work on this.  Alice also demonstrated the pleating machine and we had the opportunity to pleat a small section. Love the machine but I do not think it warrants me to have one...that is unless this really catches on with me then it would be a thought. For now, I will hand pleat samples to practice on. I would like also to pick up a book...maybe A to Z Smocking. I think the weather is messing with me...I am feeling like I should curl up, well maybe not curl up because these aging bone might not stretch out! and take a nap. I is only 6 AM!!!! The day is pretty cloudy and a lovely cool temp for this time of year. That could mean that if I can stay awake I could sit outside and stitch on....oh my, what will I work on? I have June SAL, my crocheted trim and needle punch and practicing smocking...sorry I thought about this. Now I am really ready for a nap. Thank you for the good thoughts and wishes for Mr H's upcoming surgery. I think I am more nervous than he is. Glad we could spend some time together. Thank you for your friendship and kind words. Have a great day.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Gracie that is such a wonderful thing your Chapter do for the parents in their time of sorrow. A beautiful handmade and special gift for the loved one.
Yours is looking really good.
xxx

Tiffstitch said...

That is a beautiful idea, and good luck with it.

Bea said...

What a special cause for these gowns. Enjoy your new skill/hobby.

Chookyblue...... said...

Goodluck with the smocking.... Wished I knew how to do it.....

KimM said...

What a generous thing to do. Good luck with the smocking...it's not something I think I"d like to try - but WHO KNOWS? I may get the bug to do it sometime.
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Smocking looks very tricky for someone who doesn't enjoy sewing!
The gowns are a lovely idea. There is a charity in the UK who use old wedding dresses for the same purpose.

shirley flavell said...

Hello Gracie, I have always loved smocking and have done a lot over the years. I bought a pleater machine years ago and use it a lot. I did a lot of heirloom sewing with the smocking and also made "wee care" gowns.Haven't done any in the last couple of years though.I also made wedding ring cushions that were popular then the cutest bootees and bibs. It was a real treat making these. Enjoy your smocking.